Wednesday, July 4, 2012

RIP Howard Enders

To my writing /film professor Howard Enders, RIP.


You helped me hone in on my craft. Thanks for your good humor.
BYE Howard (no pun intended)....oh yeah I wanna dedicate sumthin' to him (to you) I wanna dedicate an image of my boots. Howard always stood up when I did my classroom readings for the circle critique. So Howard, these boots are now dedicated to You from Me. I wear them down, and I wear them daily. but what I really want you to do is hear the Nancy Sinatra song inside your head up in Heaven. The song you ask?? ...THESE BOOTS WERE MADE FOR WALKING. AND THATS WHAT ILL DO. ONE OF THESE DAYS THESE BOOTS ARE GONNA WALK ALL OVER YOU.     bye again. I'll go tie my shoes now Howard. ooops, i mean boots.
 NY  TIMES  OBITUARY :

ENDERS--Howard "Hank", Professor Emeritus of Film and Dramatic Writing at SUNY Purchase, died at 83 on June 18. A passionate and inspiring professor for 30 years, he was loved by many for caring guidance and mentorship and the openness and directness of his  unique personality. A writer/producer/director, he created groundbreaking TV documentaries, winning Emmy, George Foster Peabody and Writers Guild awards, among others, and the Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award for Outstanding Coverage of the Problems of Poverty and Discrimination. At the close of WWII, as a writer on the Army paper The Daily Pacifican, he with fellow staffers issued a formal statement of objection to the military's censorship policies and discriminatory attitudes. This remained his proudest achievement. 


Survived by his wife, the former Valerie Medvene Dushkin, children, Georgiana, Eric, Emily and Jody; grandchildren, Nathaniel and Elizabeth Odom, and stepsons, Peter and Samuel Dushkin. A scholarship fund for young writers has been established in his name. Contributions can be made to: Purchase College Foundation/In Memory of Howard Enders.


Published in The New York Times