Saturday, December 21, 2013

Selling your umbrella to the devil .

When a person (not Jane actually) asked P.L. Travers what she thought of the movie Disney made out her book Mary Poppins, she replied, “As I walked out of the theater, I was crying.” While she felt Julie Andrews could have made a great version of her nanny if the Disney folks had allowed it, Travers was heartbroken that Walt had taken her novel and turned it into a cloying musical and saccharin fare.

"Saving Mr. Banks" presents the story of the making of that Disney classic, with Tom Hanks playing Walt and Emma Thompson playing Travers. And in the penultimate scene of this new film, Travers breaks into tears at the premiere of Disney’s Mary Poppins. But here is the difference: We are to understand that she is weeping because she is deeply happy with what the filmmakers have done with her story and because she has finally worked through psychological issues surrounding her late father. 

This is how history is rewritten.

It’s not like the real cause for Travers’ tears wasn’t widely known. It's not like Jane Public was not educated in film school that Walt Disney was a true degenerate hate filled racist and a Nazi party financial supporter. Indeed, in a Disney publication connected to the Broadway version of Mary Poppins, a comment by Travers is reprinted: “Tears ran down my cheek because it was all so distorted. . . . I was so shocked that I felt I would never write–let alone smile–again!" "That kinda says it all," thought Jane. 

And then Jane's  ink pen (i.e. computer printer) ran outta ink for the day. Thank God. bye.

p.s.  The book Mary Poppins is profound--though let me tell you from experience, it’s hard to persuade people to sample it because of the Disney movie, even though the two are as different as Jesus Christ Superstar and its source. I may bye (meaning buy) this one more time, due to Jane's unusual holiday cheer this year. George aka W has declared himself a retired politico and newfound "artist." His holiday cheer has been maintained by creating  jpg's of his paintings and mass Spam sending these as Holiday electronic gift cards to his prior enemies (aka the whole World). He claims to be more worried about how critics are going to react to the new Mary Poppins movie than the NSA hacking into his ipad. "Cowboys don't need umbrellas when it rains in Washington D.C.," W. just mumbled (Jane presumed).  "C'mon Laura. Let's go check out that new Tom Hanks movie on my ipad touch. I got the darn thing downloaded for free. But don't tell that swarthy Putin pirate a damn thing bout' it. To hell wit' dem Olympics. I'm streaming the sucker."
























"You're such  a dumb redneck George," slighted Hillary. "Now I know for sure we're gonna hang together tight when I run my campaign against that fat slob from New Jersey. Hell George, keep on painting. I may have a job for you again redesigning the White House master bedroom when I win."

THEY ALL CHUCKLED ON AIR FORCE ONE.  BILL DIDN'T.  HE TEXTED SOMEBODY INSTEAD.