Monday, November 16, 2009

Currently reading (and LOVING)

It was the spring of 1970. A young woman named Cathy Wilkerson survived a bomb blast at a townhouse in Manhattan. Three other people were killed. It was, in fact, a bomb being built in the basement of that house by her colleagues with the Weather Underground, the radical leftist student group. For the next ten years Wilkerson was a fugitive, before turning herself in. She pleaded guilty to unlawful possession of dynamite, and served a brief prison sentence. Now she tells her story, and the story of the Weathermen, in a book called "Flying Close to the Sun."

p.s. ironically I ran into Kathy Boudin at the Palisaides Mall in Rockland County last year. In the elevator, she KNEW I KNEW her. With her daughter, and about 4 feet tall, she remembered me. I almost worked at her prison.
p.s.s. I named the dancer in "NICE PEOPLE" after her, CATHLYN.