Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Lecture talk tonite.


I have so much to do. And am always looking for excuses to not "do them".
Here's my latest excuse, there's a still photography lecture tonite and I wanna go. As I have been delving more into still photography in my work, and trying to understand the prejudice against the digital form of image capture, I wanna learn as much as possible and expose myself to these dialogues. i'm gonna go to this Hassink artist talk thingy tonite. Hopefully I will get myself a strong coffee after she blabs and shows her slideshow, so that I will have the energy and enthusiasm, to get my own personal artistic stuff done when i get home. i mean, it won't be too too late (i.e. this is me trying to bullcrap myself into an excuse to go).

Car Girls, Jacqueline Hassink
Artist's Talk and Book Signing


WHERE: Aperture Gallery

Dutch artist Jacqueline Hassink discusses her latest book, Car Girls, in the context of her other critically acclaimed books and exhibitions that deal conceptually with issues of power and social relations. Car Girls is a body of photographic work that Hassink created over five years, photographing "car girls" during major car shows in seven different cities on three continents. As she describes it, Hassink uses these sites to reflect on "differing cultural values with regard to their ideal images of beauty and women. The series captures the moments during the women's performances when they become more like dolls or tools than individuals."