Tuesday, December 23, 2014

film self-distribution online :

But the problem he had was his music soundtrack. With over 20 songs, Beck was faced with a crushing music licensing bill that would eat up any profits he would hope to make. “I was sitting on a completed film that I couldn’t even self-release on VOD platforms because I had a 20-song soundtrack with music licenses I couldn’t afford,” said Beck. “Since I think it’s generally rude to ask bands for gratis-use if you plan to make a profit on your film, I decided the solution to my problem was to release my movie for free.”
Since he wasn’t planning on turning a profit on the film, he was able to secure approval for his songs after writing the artists, management companies, and record labels. Some songs he couldn’t use, of course, as is often the case. Undaunted, he replaced them with other tracks which actually improved the impact of a given scene. “Many of the replacement songs ended up working even better for my film in the end,” Beck added.

Jane's recommended book reading :