Saturday, January 8, 2011

more aggravating HOPE




So I forced myself to swallow the sad reality of modern technology. I forced myself to turn on the new camera and "explore" it's potentials, learn its abilities. I continue to grieve the demise of celluloid. I like being hands on in every part of the process of creativity-I don't like digital things telling my ideas what to do.
When in art school (film school) I literally slept in the editing room. Every assignment became a film when I was finished. I would get reprimanded for not following the rules, I would get in trouble for trying to do more than the simple "lighting" or "blocking" assignments. Ironically, the film school projects became the beginning of my reputation, of my voice.

This new camera, I now see, as a tool. The "perfect" glossy look sickens me. But, my approach may change. I will view the "information" that I capture with it as raw material to sculpt in the Post production stages.

Funny, as I spent hours viewing other people's work with this 60D camera model on YOUTUBE, I was reminded that anyone can have a "tool", but only few are artisans. That temporarily relieved me. Like the Super 8mm camera of the 70's (available then at Woolworths and local pharmacies), the technology out there in the world is open to the public. Again, only few will take advantage of this fact (take advantage of its potential to create things of relevance).

I have a lot to learn. I will keep playing for a few weeks. Unfortunately, I seem to be hastened to the cinematic poem. Despite knowing that I could get "rich and famous" with a long, conservative narrative, I am more in love with the small statements that I can make. I am a fine artist, not a filmmaker in the sense of the conventional idea I am not interested in making fun mass consumable fast food. I am interested in saying things directly disguised.

I have, and will use, programs to become my darkroom (per se). I will experiment with different mixings of print and paper stocks. I will experiment with various forms of "presentation". Basically, I will follow my instincts.

Weird to use this small machine that works under the leadership (dictatorship) of a BATTERY LIFE. I layed in my bed and simply took compositions/shots of my body parts. Of things on my walls. Of "moments".

I will spend the weekend picking up, and putting down this thing called the Canon 60D.
I will do my best to have a relationship with it. I will do my best to call it my new best friend.

me