Monday, April 8, 2019

R.I.P. Seymour Cassel 

Independent film auteur John Cassavetes, who died from liver disease at age 59, was "the older brother I never had and the closest male friend I ever had, Cassel told an NPR interview. "He was extremely influential in creating my career and guiding me." 

"It said, 'Free Scholarships — John Cassavetes Workshop, Variety Arts Building,'" Cassel recalled in David Spaner's 2011 book, Shoot It!: Hollywood Inc. and the Rising of Independent Film"I went there and said, 'I'm looking for one of those scholarships.' John talked to me for about an hour and then said, 'I've got to go. We're shooting a movie.' 'I said, 'Can I watch?' and he said, 'Sure.' "I just started helping the cameraman. I worked all night. John took us to breakfast and said, 'What do you think?' I said, 'It's great. Can I come back?' He said, 'Sure.' And I kept coming back. Not only did it enhance my knowledge, but I found the best friend I ever had." On Faces, made for $40,000, Cassel did double duty again as an actor and crewmember (he was one of seven of the latter). "That way of making a film was so much fun," he told IndieWire in 1997. "No unions to deal with, no time schedule. We shot it in continuity, which John did with every film after that. He did it for himself, and he did it for the actors."
Cassel died Sunday in Los Angeles of complications from Alzheimer’s disease. Word on the street is that he's already started working on a new film with John up there in the Heavens. Seymour will be working the boom mike, too. bye to the brotherhood.