Friday, March 15, 2019

Bergman 100th Bday Criterion box set - ALL FILMS!

cen·ten·ni·al
/senˈtenēəl/
adjective
  1. 1. 
    relating to a hundredth anniversary.

    "centennial celebrations" released on BluRay and arranged/curated as if for a life's work film festival
noun
  1. 1. 
    a hundredth Ingmar anniversary.




"It is reality.
In Sweden, film production was halted for all of 1951. During my enforced inactivity, I learned that because of commercial implications and through no fault of my own I could be out on the street before I knew it. I do not complain about it, neither am I afraid or bitter;I have merely drawn a logical conclusion from the situation: that each film is my last.

For me there is only loyalty-- that to the film on which I am working. What comes (or fails to come) after is insignificant and causes neither anxiety nor longing. This attitude gives me assurance and artistic confidence. The material assurance is apparently limited, but I find artistic integrity infinitely more important. Therefore I follow the principle: each film is my last. This conviction gives me strength."

                    -Ingmar Bergman


p.s.    Happy Birthday Ingmar. bye.