Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Who gets to control and exploit the work of an artist ?

Aimee Mann's response to the recent Emily White letter ordeal :
All you guys posting about the music/piracy thing...thank you for caring, it means a lot to me that you took the time to read that article. Honestly, I try to not ask about how much money certain things bring in. It's not what I think about when I'm making a record or whatever...it's just that you realize you have to make certain choices based on it. Can I afford a drummer this tour? A guitar tech? It's tricky...and sad, because I WANT to be able to give these guys a job, and have a great band, and play a great show, and have everybody make $.
Ok, all, thanks so much for listening/replying, you have been super sweet. Now I'm going to watch a documentary about the Band!


The article (link) :
http://thetrichordist.wordpress.com/2012/06/18/letter-to-emily-white-at-npr-all-songs-considered/


p.s. some responses to the issue. Prince is hilarious btw:
http://thetrichordist.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/roll-call-musicians-for-an-ethical-internet/