Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Justine Kurland




I saw Justine at APERTURE GALLERY down on 47th street. Awesome lecture. It's just so interesting to see a hippie fight so hard against "hippiedom". I keep telling her that it's not her fault, IT'S HER MOM's! (her mother is the ultimate commune livin' nudist hippie). Justine lives in her van, with her 4 year old kid, so ya gotta give credit where credit is due! She rules. Point Blank.

Anyways, all friendship aside, she is an incredible talent. Her work IS narrative driven (the unfortunate new hype), BUT is SO focused and enamored by the nature "LANDSCAPE" there is always something unruly and unstaged about every single thing that she does.

I had needed inspiration today and I got it by seeing her work and hearing her process. She not just loves what she does, she needs to do what she does. She needs to take and make images. I needed to be reminded that I am not the only lunatic in the world who needs to do this kind of thing with my life.


love,
me.
xo