Friday, May 21, 2021

The great Buddy Rich, 1974 drum solo.


 My very first drum kit was a Slinglerland kit, just like Buddy Rich's. At first my parents refused to let me get a drum set as they didn't want to invest in something noisy that they felt I may lose interest in after a day or two (all I did was draw & sketch as a child), so I had to create my own kit by using a paper stapler as a foot pedal, planks of wood as toms and air (imaginary) cymbals. Every day, after school, from 2:45pm-7pm I 'practiced.' My grandma paid attention to my passion and took me to Manny's Music Store (near 42nd street) and got me a few actual cymbals (Paiste) to use with my self-made/imaginary drum set. Again, I would practice after school in the garage for hours daily, sweating my ass off. Relentlessly. At school, music kids would approach me and ask if I was a drummer, then asking, "why is it that all I hear from your house is cymbals?" Shortly after, I was allowed to get myself my first small kit- a Slingerland. And, the rest is history. It was Love at first rudiment. bye. 

                                                                       #paperstaplers