Sunday, August 28, 2022

Great documentary by Ed Perkins.




























Well, I had hesitated to watch this new doc by Ed Perkins titled, 'Princess' about Diana. Diana's demeanor always reminds me so much of my mother, who ironically was also a sensitive school teacher. I must say that I got totally hooked once I started watching this film and it's really, really good. For the most part it's a non-didactic observational documentary aesthetic (minus the manipulative soundtrack that appears from time to time) that employs all kinds of found footage material, allowing the viewer to make their own final conclusion about Diana's experience prior to her untimely death. Not only does this documentary make you think about 'her', but it makes you think about ourselves - now that so much of our lives are being captured by our smartphones, devices and 'others' - knowingly and unknowingly- leaving only one's personal inner experience - that is not being filmed- as the actual only true authentic harbinger of the truth. 

bye.

p.s. here are a few pics that I took in 2018 in Paris as I accidentally (no pun intended) ran into a permanent make-shift memorial created in memory of Diana, located directly above the street tunnel where she was killed in her car accident...